Many people look for free antivirus protection. Some users are on a tight budget and cannot afford to buy it. Others simply prefer free software as it satisfies their expectations. Regardless of why it’s better to explore all the free options and pick a reliable one. Let’s take a quick look at the top 5 good free antivirus solutions and discuss how to pick the best one.
The best choices on the market
- Avast Free is a completely free edition that is not limited in time. The company offers a great solution for personal use that comes with a wide selection of tools. Just like the premium versions, this edition uses the same Avast engines that are highly appraised by SE Labs, AV-Comparatives, and other independent testing labs. In addition to a simple and user-friendly interface, people get a Wi-Fi inspector, a password manager, a safe browser, and some other tools. Even some premium bundles from other developers can’t offer so much. Those who need more features may upgrade anytime.
- One of the good free antivirus solutions is Kaspersky. While it’s currently banned in the USA (since the company is Russian), the rest of the world can enjoy free and excellent protection. It has almost perfect results and excellent scores from the independent test labs. Kaspersky Free doesn’t have any extras but offers to install a free password manager as a separate tool. However, it blocks and prevents all kinds of threats. The antivirus also scans the search results and adds a green icon to the safe sites. It works on all main operating systems like Windows, Mac OS, Android, and iOS. Keep in mind that the free edition doesn’t offer tech support.
- Bitdefender Free Edition is also worth your attention. The antivirus runs on the same engine as the premium version meaning a user gets excellent protection from all kinds of threats and malware. However, this is also a very basic version that doesn’t have anything extra. Those who need more features should upgrade to a premium version.
- AVG now belongs to Avast and also offers a free edition. They all use the same antivirus engine and bring decent protection to all the household devices. This antivirus is very good at detecting and stopping online threats and viruses. The interface is simple, straightforward, and user-friendly.
- Sophos Home Free is a perfect solution for families. This is one of the few antivirus programs that include parental control features in the free edition. Aside from that, it’s an average antivirus with decent protection.
Things to pay attention to when making a choice
Whenever you decide to install a free antivirus program, you’ll come across plenty of options. The best solution, however, may differ for every user. That’s why it’s important to pay attention not only to the quality of the core protection but to extra features and other tools.
For instance, if a user wants something simple and straightforward, Kaspersky and Bitdefender are sure to be perfect. They don’t have anything extra but come with great antivirus engines. In case one needs more features, Avast is the go-to choice. Even the free edition has plenty to offer.
Those who want to use parental control but still use a free edition will benefit from Sophos Home Free. This is the only antivirus on the list that offers such an opportunity.
Aside from that, it’s important to take into account the reputation of the developer, the scores from the independent testing labs, etc.
You may pick any free edition from this list based on your preferences and expectations. Each antivirus has something unique to offer and secure great protection for your device.